Friday, December 5, 2008

Lamenting the End of an Era

I'll admit that while I generally view death as a beautiful part of Heavenly Father's plan, I am rather sad to see these wonderful disciples to whom I've listened during my entire life and grown to love pass on to the next station of existence. The last thirty years of Church history have been amazing, progressive, and interesting thanks to the efforts of these fine men and others like them. I definitely love President Monson and the wonderful new members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, but I want to pay tribute to President Hinckley and to Elder Wirthlin, two of my very favorite speakers.

I loved President Hinckley's sense of humor and his gentle ability to diffuse any uncomfortable situation. He was great with the media and delighted me during every speech with his wit and charm.

Elder Wirthlin...Mr. Football...a Ute...what more can I say? I absolutely loved his last conference address about living life, enjoying every moment, and having a sense of humor. What great men! I hope I'll be able to meet them in the next phase of life.

3 comments:

Deanne said...

Elder Wirthlin's talk last conference was one of my favorites as well. He'll be missed.

Kahananui said...

I had no idea he had passed away! I love Elder Wirthlin!! Yes, his talk last conference was definitely my favorite!! I still think about that when I start to get frustrated....just laughing instead of getting angry!

Leslie said...

I'm so sad too! We have lost some great men this year. I just hope that if I live to be in my 90's that I could still be of such a sound mind. I think everyone loved Elder Wirthlin's last talk.