Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Random Things That Make Me Happy

People always tell me it's the small things that make life wonderful and I agree. I find it funny that once in a while, the small things are SO small, no one but ourselves would be able to notice them. Hence, the purpose of this post. Here are two of my very small things:

1) I finally made a complete batch of sugar cookies (dough-making, refrigeration period, cooking, cooling, frosting-making, and decorating always seems to be way too much of a process for me) and actually had them turn out. They were so cute that I indeed hesitated before I ate each cookie in nearly the whole batch. It did help me, though, that two of our neighborhood kids walked right into our apartment and helped themselves to a few without asking. :) My inner Martha was very satisfied with the darling (if I may say so myself) 7-minute frosting job.

2) As I prepared to take a shower this morning, I noticed the bottom of my ribcage for the first time in about six months. To some, this may seem trivial to the point of ridicule, but to all of you who have been pregnant, this is a reason to rejoice! I must admit, the ribs are still covered in an abundant layer of loose skin and fat, but to see the mere shape--even a suggestion--of a ribcage made me smile.

Despite the six loads of laundry to fold, a filthy bathroom to clean, and three sinkfuls of dirty dishes to wash, today is going to be a glorious day!

6 comments:

Becky said...

That's funny. That's true, you don't see your rib cage for at least 4 of the pregnant months, congratulations! I agree about those simple small things really helping to brighten a day. Some of these things aren't even apparent to others. I have a bunch of colorful bright straws and I love to drink out of a straw (just preparing for my older years). This is a little embarrasing, but for some reason those colors always add a spark of sunshine to my day, or at least my drink. I never knew water could be so exciting! Sugar and chocolate seem to have a similar effect.

Amy said...

Cute cookies! You've always looked good after having your babies! I'd be suprised if you couldn't see your ribs even when you were 9 months pregnant!

Kahananui said...

It is funny how little things like that can make you so happy. I made dinner for Dave the other night...yes I still haven't been able to actually learn how to cook in the whole year and a half that I've been married...pathetic I know. He ususally cooks though because he loves to cook. However, the other night I made him Chicken Enchiladas...I felt so good!!! Anyways, I can relate to those little things! I so glad that they made your day!! Those cookies are so cute too!!

Vegas Fitness Girl said...

Hey! I didn't know you had a blog! I will invite you to ours...
I found your blog on Brynn's blog--yea I am nosy:)

Leslie said...

Love what you have done with the blog. Way Cute!

Amy said...

I love your new layout! How did you do the picture border?