Friday, March 13, 2009

This Cake is the Ship

I have a cloistered desire to be the next Ace of Cakes; although strictly amature in skill, my aspirations in showpiece cakemaking are sky high. Each of my kids' birthday cakes has been greater than the previous year's, thus this pirate ship cake is my latest masterpiece. I had so much fun making it and it took less time than I anticipated.

Amber said she wanted a "strawberry shortcake girl pirate ship cake", so I made the layers from a traditional shortcake batter, stacked them up with homemade strawberry jam and vanilla pudding mid-strata, gave it a crumb coat of chocolate buttercream, and topped it off with a vanilla buttercream wood grain.

I used mini Reese's peanut butter cups glued together with frosting to make powder kegs and barrels; Pop Rocks and gold icing made rubies and gold coins.

Pirouette cookies made great cannons and chocolate covered pretzels made up the railing around the deck. I used Whoppers for cannon balls and a stick of gum for the plank.

With its dirty pink sails and a killer Jolly Rodger flag, this cake was the perfect ending to Amber's delightful pirate party.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Wowzers!!! That was an awesome cake and so clever! I love the wopper cannon balls! Really, Natalie, you ought to have your own show and kick Ms. Martha back to teaching cake decor. at JoAnn's.

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

That cake is amazing!!! You could give the ace of cakes some good competition. :)

Kacey said...

Can you believe our girls are 4 already? We were just looking at that picture of them laying on the floor pulling on each other's accessories and Sydney said "who's THAT?" We really need to get together sometime (for their sake, not ours right?) Your cake and party look amazing as always. You never fail to impress.

Melisa said...

Wow! What a party and WHAT A CAKE! You are amazing!

Deanne said...

The cake looks great! And sounds delicious too!

You've definitely got skillz.

Amy said...

Great cake!!! What a fun birthday party...I wish my kids could've been there =( Cinnamon is a terrific name for a pirate princess!!! I can't believe Amber is 4!

Christina White said...

O.K. so don't let my kids see that cake . . .then they will really know their Mom is a failure!! They are just lucky to get a cake that is frosted with a candle on it for their birthdays! No way anything that fancy will ever make its way out of my kitchen! Holy cow! that is the coolest thing I have ever seen! You totally rock at cake making/decorating! I am way impressed! Amber is darling! 4 is a fun age! Happy 4th to Amber!

Welch Mom said...

Cute, cute and so smart! I love it and I can not believe I know such talented people. I am telling you all we should open a shop! Creativity for Sale!