Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Favorite Meal

This lovely creation is my mother-in-law's recipe for taco salad which has now become my favorite meal. I serve mine with Santita's chips (the best!), pineapple, carrots, lettuce, cilantro, cheddar cheese or queso fresco, tomato, avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice. It's muy sabroso, so here's the recipe:

1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 T. chopped and dried onion
8 oz. tomato sauce
6 oz. tomato paste
3 c. water
2-3 T. chili powder, depending on taste
1/2 c. Minute rice (I use brown, but you can use white)
salt and lots of black pepper

Brown beef, stir in onion. Add remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes (stir occasionally). Serve over crushed tortilla chips, topped with salad fixings of your choice.

5 comments:

Nancey said...

That sounds yummy! Aren't Santitas the best? Your girl's gymnastics is so cute...we still need to get together!

Tiffany said...

That looks delightful!

Deanne said...

That sounds great! I'll have to try it.

Kahananui said...

I've never tried that. I had no idea my mom made that! It looks really good! Yummy! Can't wait to see you guys!

Lisa said...

Yum! We just had this last night.