Friday, November 14, 2008

Jolt

On Monday night, I finally decided it was time to put away the Halloween decorations (no, I am not lazy. HA!). We have a hutch in our foyer that accommodates three ceramic figurines that are each illuminated by a single light bulb with a cord that requires some fancy wiring. The hutch only has a small hole in the corner of each shelf for a cord, so the plug will not fit through the opening. Hence, the cords are cut, passed through the hole, and taped together with electrical tape (ah, the things women do to decorate...).

I really am not an idiot, I promise, but as I began to dissemble the first figurine's cord, I heard a loud buzz/zap, felt a strange sensation surge throughout my body, and I ended up flat on the floor in a stupor. What the $%#&? Yes folks, I had been electrocuted. I forgot to make sure the cords were unplugged before I started unwrapping the bare wires and managed to trip the circuit breaker in the process of giving myself a nice, healthy jolt. Since the voltage was so small, I stood right up and had a good laugh at my stupid self, and cruised downstairs to tell Adam about my duncey episode. A few minutes later, though, I had to lie down for an hour and recover from what felt like the leftovers of a massive panic attack; I had adrenaline racing through my body and my internal organs felt a bit frazzled.

Call me crazy (or crazier, I guess), but I've always wondered what it feels like to be electrocuted. Now I know, and thank the heavens it wasn't a major-voltage situation that resulted in a crispy, black body and a burned-down house. Hopefully the hair on my head will grow super fast now that I've had some significant follicular stimulation.

6 comments:

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

Holy crap! I'm glad you are okay!

Kahananui said...

Wow! I can't believe that. Of course that's how my mom would have to decorate, huh? I've never experienced that before but I'm sure it's awful. I'm so sorry and I'm so glad it wasn't worse!

Amy said...

What the heck??? How has my Mom's house not burned down? Oh wait, didn't almost do that too? Ha ha! I hope you are all having fun in Oregon! Can't wait to see you!

stephanie said...

Crazy!! Im glad your ok. we will be there in 2 weeks so we will have to get together!!

Becky said...

How shocking! (ha,ha,ha)
Was your hair sticking up on your arms or did forks and spoons start coming toward you as you walked by them? I to am glad you are not a crispy critter but I'm sure you'll never forget to unplug something like that again. That's just an unfortunate way to learn that lesson. Now let's hope the rest of us learn from your experience.
Chris said that if you want a similar jolt you should touch the spark plug of a running lawn mower, personal experience Chris?

Kenzie - Ryan - Livee- Emmeline said...

You really are the funniest person. I have to read everything that you write to Ryan because I can't stop laughing. You can always cheer me up when I read what you write!