Friday, December 19, 2008

The Hands of a Hard-Working Desert Dweller

Since they are truly a horrifying sight to behold, I've refrained from posting a picture of my poor, scaly, and utterly-cracked hands. I've always had trouble with dry skin (especially in these wonderful winter climates), but this year seems to be the worst ever. At this moment, I have 31 cuts/cracks on my hands, and despite my best efforts, they will not heal. I couldn't even buckle my kids in their car seats today because my skin hurt too badly. Yikes, huh?! Vaseline and socks at night doesn't fix the problem, nor does Amlactin or Eucerin. Does anyone have a solution to this woe? I'm desperate!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

you poor girl. i hate this time of year, i get dried out too but not to your degree. hopefully someone has a good remedy for you!

Leslie said...

Try vitamen E oil and bandaids or gloves. You have to wear gloves outside every time you go out. I know!!

Leslie C.

Becky said...

So, because of Utah's dry weather your children are driving around with out seat belts, your bleeding to death crack by crack, and you're wearing sock on your hands. Hmmm...I'd first start by avoiding doing dishes or if you must, wear gloves, well, wear gloves all day so you never have to get your hands wet. I've tried that Vaseline thing and ick. I've had luck with Nivea's smooth indulgence hand cream. My aunt claims that coconut oil cures just about every thing. You can get that from a health food store. My grandma is the Desitin queen. If you find a cure, let me know because I too am risking driving around with my kids un-belted.

Welch Mom said...

I like Gardener's hand therapy from Crabtree and Evelyn. I used to use it at school when I worked with clay.
It smells so good I could not stop putting it on.

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

I noticed my house was very dry the other day, and my hands were starting to get bad, so I tried a trick I've seen my mother-in-law do. But a pot of water on the stove, and just let it simmer at low to medium heat. I really seems to have helped. Just make sure you put more water in the pot every once and awhile and remember to turn it off at some point. :)