Saturday, December 13, 2008

Adorable Futility

Read the previous post and you'll know why I needed twelve tiaras today. What you won't find out is how the original, "real" tiaras made of rhinestones that I ordered two weeks ago didn't even get shipped, so I pulled an all-nighter crafting these beauties from random hosehold items. The process took seven hours, and considering how nothing seemed to go right regarding uniforms for my two teams' competition today, genereated a grand amount of frustration and grumbling. I cut the marquis parts from foam core with an Exacto knife (yikes...my fingers are blistered), hot glued them to some ghetto headbands from the grocery store, added wire loops for bobby pins, wrapped the bands with silver ribbon, and dipped the marquis sections in glue and glitter. I was thoroughly proud of my finished product and put-out by the process (my ability to pull all-nighters left me shortly after I became pregnant with Amber), but once the gals had the tiaras on their heads, it was worth it. They looked so cute!

Moments before my team was to run onto the mat to compete, the competition "boss" came over and informed me that cheerleaders were not allowed to wear tiaras; we had two choices: take them off or receive a 5-point-per-judge penalty. So I frantically grabbed three moms and we ripped the tiaras off as fast as we could, making some of the cheerleaders cry...not because it hurt their heads, but because they wanted to be bling-ed out for the competition. I was really glad I went to all the trouble to make those darn things!




5 comments:

Melisa said...

My goodness, girl! Talented and McGyverish. ;) Way to improvise. I'll bet Calet would go nuts with one of those. :)

etslybaw

Becky said...

UGH!That's what I would have said and loud as I could in front of that party pooper who said no tiaras. Are you the queen of clever-ness? Great job with those tiaras, I think you should wear one and walk like you are a princess after all that work.

Deanne said...

I know what you mean about not being able to pull all nighters anymore. I'm not sure when it happened, but I just know I can't do it any more.

But you sure have much more stamina than me (even if you can't do all nighters). Not to mention tons of creativity. Way impressive!

Leslie said...

i think i would of cried. i don't understand why they couldn't wear the cute tiaras. You are so crafty! I don't think I would of had the energy to stay up all night to put them together.

Kacey said...

I might have taken the 5 point deduciton if I spent all that time making them. What a good coach/mom you are!