Monday, December 8, 2008

It's Not Creativity...It's Using My Resources

I've always been a wish-list maker and a major catalogue freak, and I'm proud to say that my girls are taking after their mama. Each week when the "all-new" Pottery Barn Kids catalogue arrives (that's our fave), we hunker down to carefully examine each page and decide what we'd buy if we had infinite income to support what could be very healthy shopping habits. We all fell in love with these stockings; Amber and Karli were especially excited to see the ice skate stocking (they actually think the sled stocking with the doll is an ice skate, so that's what we call it) and begged to have one for themselves.

Me, being the ultra-frugal, wanna-be Martha, decided to try making some because the PBK version ran a steep $33 each once monogramed. Here is my finished product; although I wish I would have sprung for felt-by-the-yard to make the actual bodies of the stockings, I'm proud to report that I made all five for only $10.78 and about three hours of work. I think I'm going to carefully remove the embellishments from these and add them to new felt stockings for next year because broadcloth just isn't sturdy enough, even with French seams inside. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself:

I still need to add the names. I'm working on cutting the letters out of felt because I'm too cheap to pay for professional personalization. Gotta love the rip-off!

11 comments:

Becky said...

TOTALLY love the rip off!!! Those look exactly the same and even with the right angles of the characters, you are goooood! I too am in love with Pottery Barn Kids. I'm going to try to make the boys quilts, inspired from one I've seen in their collection. Great ideas have they, they do (Yoda says so).

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

Those look great! You did such a good job.
I need to get my boys nice stockings, but I don't want to spend too much on them, and I have little to no sewing skills. I might just have to fork over the dough!

Deanne said...

Very impressive! You are soooo talented. Great job!

Melisa said...

Whoa. You are seriously talented. I would have thought they were the ones!

matome

Leslie said...

Wow! I'm impressed! I can't believe it only took you 3 hours to make all the stockings. They look so GOOD!

Karen said...

Those look awesome! I totally wanted to buy the pottery barn ones too, but couldn't bare to pay that much for them. I made my own, but didn't go as far to try to copy pottery's. I am happy with how mine turned out as well.
Hope you don't mind that I have you on my blog list. I have a private blog..if you want an invite send me your email. karentingey@gmail.com

Kacey said...

You make me sick! You know that right? You are uber talented and amazing. My kids have the Lands End stockings because someone gave me one for Carter and I figured they might as well match. Not quite as pricy as PBK but not nearly as impressive as your $10.

Mary Ann said...

I am sick of buying Christmas decorations!!I need to follow in your foot steps and make my own. Bella saws these and said "I want those now!" I am going to try who knows if I am going suceed!!

Kahananui said...

Natalie...those are adorable!! Would you make us some?!?! Seriously, I'll pay whatever it takes to make them and I'll even pay you extra for the hours it takes to make them. I'd rather pay you then go buy some. I know I'm not talented enough to make them on my own! Would you be willing?? If not, I understand but they sure are cute!

Leslie said...

Natalie is seriously the most talented person! She can make/cook/sew/create anything. I'm so glad you are my darling daughter-in-law!

Leslie (Mom-in-law)

Tiffany said...

You have got to be kidding me...please please teach me how to make those...they are the cutest things ever! You amaze me! We have a new project!