Sunday, July 12, 2009

Here We Go to Idaho

At 3:00 on Thursday afternoon, as we swam in our backyard, my mom called to see if we wanted to go to Rexburg in 15 minutes. We agreed, jumped out and dried off as fast as we could, threw some stuff into a suitcase, and before I knew it, my kids and I were strapped in her Suburban and on our way to the land of my childhood. I was excited to see my grandparents, the Liljenquists and Rydalches, to eat frozen yogurt at Millhollow, and to show my kids all my favorite places from when I was younger.

First, we made a stop at ISU in Pocatello so my sisters could hear their friends' concert on the quad. It was fun to see my old buildings (Liberal Arts and Social Sciences) and to let my kids run down the hill I had to climb every day to get to class. Then, we drove to Rexburg and crashed at Grandma Marge and Grandpa Vern's house.

The next morning, we ran errands, I visited Wal Mart which is the biggest store in town, and as much as I hate to say it, I was again reminded of how much I can't stand Rexburg now that I'm grown. Don't get me wrong...I loved growing up there and I have lots of dear friends and family in the area. I couldn't EVER move back there. It's just not my kind of place, you know?

After all the errands were finished, we loaded up and headed for Heise Hot Springs. This was my place of employment for six years and I love it! We swam for a bit and it was fun to see that my friend Brennan, with whom I worked all those years, and his wife are now managing the whole Heise conglomerate. Amber loved the water slide and she was like a little fish. I had to drag her out of the water when it was time to leave.

Angela and Courtney saved the day; they took Amber down the slide at least a dozen times!

The cold pool was still just as cold as ever...but it felt great on a 90-degree day. Rex liked having his feet in the water, but not much else.

Karli wasn't really interested in swimming that day, so she hung out by my mom and worked on her tan.


After swimming, we drove back to Rexburg and I began the arduous task of getting my three overly-tired children to bed. It took me four hours to finally get them all to sleep, and I felt so bad for my poor grandparents who couldn't get a moment of peace and quiet that whole night.

On Saturday, my cousin Greg married the darling Jen in the Rexburg temple and I attended the ceremony. I'd never been in that temple and it was so fun to see how beautiful it is! Also, I recognized every single worker there, which was kind of cool and creepy at the same time. After the many, many Mormon wedding proceedings, my grandparents Liljenquist met us at Porter Park so the kids could ride the carousel. It's a classic Rexburg attraction and went through a major restoration when I was 10 years old. I loved being able to take my kids for a ride on it and they had a blast!
Karli prefers the stationary benches, but Amber and Rex liked the tiny horses that moved up and down.

Rex made a new best friend: my Grandpa Vern. Every time Grandpa walked into the room, Rex ran to him and tried to climb up his legs to be held. It was adorable! Grandpa took Rex on the deck to swing, played hide and seek with the coasters, and offered about a million hugs to my little boy. They were darling together!

The very best part of the trip was when my Grandma Marge offered to make ebelskivers, a Danish pancake that is round and divine. Our family's ancestry is from Denmark, so these are a special treat in the Liljenquist family. When I was younger, we'd go to Grandma's house for a heritage lesson and to enjoy some of her yummy Danish cuisine. I've always wanted to learn to make them (it's a process!), so I had a lesson from the master chef herself. I even made an entire batch all by myself and they turned out to be delicious. I found a pan and brought home the recipe, so I'm all set to make them for Adam. YUM!


Ebelskivers...the best breakfast I'll ever eat.

Despite bringing home runny noses and sore throats and trying to function on my mom's schedule with three small children, it was a wonderful trip. Perhaps I'll go back in another six months when I forget again how much I appreciate living elsewhere!

8 comments:

Robogirl said...

Hahaha, you had æbleskiver (æble=Apple, skiver=slices). We usually eat them in December with "flour"sucker and marmelaide :-)
We can make them together in a month I haven't had them
since last Christmas :-)
hugs mette

Leslie said...

how fun to visit rexburg! looks like you had a fabulous time. your kids are just as darling as ever and you look GREAT! we so need to get together!

Deanne said...

Wow, what a great trip! I'm impressed that you could be so spur of the moment as to leave with 15 minutes notice.

I can't believe how big Rex is. He looks so cute with your grandpa!

Katherine Fajen said...

My dad makes aebelskivers (or however they're spelled)! I love them! He always puts "surprises" in some of them...like chocolate chips or jam. Sounds like a great trip!

Kahananui said...

What a fun trip! Your kids are getting sooo big and soo cute!! I love the picture of you all on the merry go round. I miss them! I remember going on a few trips to Idaho with your family. We always had a good time!! I loved Heise! Glad you are blogging again!! :)

Welch Mom said...

Looks like the fun of traveling. Some ups some downs, complete exhaustion after the trip,sounds like it was productive!

s said...

I agree about Rexburg, but I would love to find a place like it in close proximity to Island Park. What a great trip, I can sense your childhood memories in your writing, and it takes me there too. I'm so glad we grew up together!

Kacey said...

We went to Heise with our friends last summer and ran into Brennan also. I was surprised to see him there and I think he was surprised that I had three kids then. Looks like fun!