Monday, December 28, 2009

He's Here!

We are thrilled to have our newest family member here safely. Case John Clark arrived right on schedule on December 22, 2009 at American Fork Hospital. Everything went well with the delivery and it was fabulous to feel my stomach collapse! He looks like a mix of Karli and Rex and has the Clark Scowl down perfectly. We all love him to pieces!


Here's Case right after birth. He came so quickly that he was nice and pink with a very round head.

Case wanted to suck his fingers from the very beginning...a sure sign he's a Clark baby. I love his tiny bum and his dark, wild hair.

Don't let that sweet, innocent face fool you. This kid has some pipes! I was worried that he was bound to be my ornery baby, because he cried all the time in the hospital. Once we brought him home, though, he calmed right down and has been a dream so far.

This delivery was definitely my craziest. Since I was positive with Group B Strep, I had to have 4 hours of antibiotics before I could deliver. My contraction monitor wasn't picking up any contraction, so when they finally broke my water, I didn't think anything was happening (aahhh...epidurals!). Ten minutes later, I felt a horrible pressure in my spine and thought for sure there was something wrong with my injection or that I was one of the .4% of people who have major complications with the epidural. Adam, Greg, Leslie, and the kids had all just headed downstairs for a treat and my phone was clear across the room, so I pressed my call button for the nurse. No one responded, so I started to panic as the pressure grew worse and worse. I was in tears, and finally yelled out, "Help!", hoping someone was in the hall.
Thankfully, a nurse poked her head in to ask if I was o.k. I immediately broke down into sobs, saying I didn't know what was happening to me. She calmly told me she would first check my cervix and then go from there. I was dilated to 4 centimeters when the doctor broke my water, and the nurse said, "You're complete and I see the baby's head." I couldn't believe how quickly the labor progressed, and five minutes later, I was holding little Case. It was madness! I had a wonderful staff of nurses who took fabulous care of Case and me and I'm thankful to have a beautiful, healthy baby. And, of course...to not be pregnant!

13 comments:

Phil and Pat said...

Oh he's so cute! I bet you feel good to have him out of you! I had the same experience with both of my girls. It's almost like your body is dilating so fast that your epidural can't keep up and it HURTS! It's a plus that it happens so fast.
Love his name too, by the way.

Liz said...

Oops! I am on vacation at my parent's house and didn't realized that I was signed in under my mom. Sorry. I made that last comment. :)

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

He is a cutie! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy every second with your new guy. :)

Becky said...

Congratulations!!!!!! What a cute little baby boy and he's got some adorable chub on him. I'm so happy for you and your family! I like the name you chose, it has a nice ring when you say it.

Leslie said...

what a cutie! i love his name too! congrats, glad to hear that all went well. let us know when you are up for some visitors. we would love to come see you guys!

Jessica Schwendiman said...

Congrats! He is so cute and I LOVE his name. What a stud!

Joe and Marci said...

He is such a beautiful baby - and you look pretty amazing!! Congratulations!!

Kacey said...

Congratulations! He is so adorable! I can't believe he came so fast. I can't imagine the stress and craziness of labor. C-sections have their down sides but things are nice and calm and scheduled for the delivery. I am glad that you are both doing well. Can't wait to meet him!

Liesl Christensen said...

Congratulations! He's a handsome boy!

Deanne said...

He's adorable! Congrats!!!

Welch Mom said...

Oh, he is a cute baby! And I am not just saying that. How adorable. Congrats!

stephanie said...

Congrats! He is adorable! Im glad everything went good for you!

Rebecca said...

A late congrats! He looks cute and I hope he is a sweet baby.