Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Something to Melt My Heart

Lately, the girls have been saying something to Adam and to me that just makes me want to cry, partly because it's so darn adorable and partly because it makes me feel guilty for disciplining them when they're naughty. Upon committing an infraction and being punished, they say, sobbing, "but even though you're mad at me you still love me, right?" Can you believe that!?

Immediately, we hug them and say "Of course, we will always love you!" and it makes them feel better. But I always feel like such a schmuck! It's a good reminder to me not to fly off the handle and to remember that no matter how many times I have to confiscate nail polish or lip gloss or other contraband that they are just little and curious and adorable. I never knew parenting would require so much emotional fortitude. We love you for sure, Amber and Karli!

4 comments:

Welch Mom said...

I have a book that I read to Cole called "I'll always love you". It is about a Bear family and the little bear breaks his moms fav honey bowl. He asks her if she still loves him and she reply s "I'll always love you". Anyway it is a good reminder to me and them, that no matter what they do we still love them!

Stephen and Kristen said...

Being a parent is tough, but sticking to your guns when discipline is necessary is tougher! Lauren does similar things when she's in trouble and it's heartbreaking. I learned that it works well for us if I emphasize that I'm upset with the behavior, rather than her personally. We've talked a lot about choices and the consequences (good or bad) of those choices. I hope you know you're a great mom and remember that we're all learning! :)

Parrish Family said...

So funny! I love that they just assume you don't love them anymore because they are in trouble. I'm pretty sure I would NOT be able to laugh! Your kids are just so stinkin cute!

Kenzie - Ryan - Livee- Emmeline said...

That is so funny. I need to work on not over reacting when Livee does something naughty. Because I have noticed that if I get really mad that when she gets upset she way over reacts. Just to let you know I love the movie "The Little Rascals" and I bought it on Amazon when I saw your post. It is such a cute movie. Call me if you come up. 208-709-2249. I want to take some pics.