Friday, January 29, 2010

They Must Be Geniuses

Today I ventured out of the house with three kids--the first time by myself since Case was born--and it was actually fun to be able to run some errands. I know, I can't believe I just said that either. The only thing that put a damper on our little outing: seven different people telling me the thing I'm soooo tired of hearing (as it's all I've heard for the past four years). "Wow, you've really got your hands full!"

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Do I honestly need a reminder every ten minutes? I KNOW I have my hands full. I have to try so hard to resist saying back, "Well, I have one more who is four years old and I'm strongly considering in vitro to conceive triplets this month." Every mom I know has her hands full at one point or another. I understand that these people are just trying to be nice, but come on. Does everyone have to say that to me all the time? Especially when I'm actually having what I consider a successful outing with children, meaning no one is crying, no one has pooped through their clothing, no one has a dirty face, and I'm not swearing under my breath or at the top of my lungs.

I can't wait to see what it's like when I have all four kids with me and we go anywhere. Sheesh!

9 comments:

Deanne said...

Don't worry, we've all heard it. But sounds like you had a successful outing and that is always reason to smile! I hope you're next outing is just as successful (minus all the comments from strangers =).

Joe and Marci said...

I once had a lady say, "Do you take care of all those kids by yourself?" I wasn't quite sure how to respond, but when I said yes, she said, "Well then, Lord love you!" It totally made my day.
Well done on a successful outing, and here's to many more!!

Welch Mom said...

I think they are just amazed at how posed you are when doing it! Congrats to a good outing. That always makes me feel accomplished, like I can tackle anything!

Becky said...

So you only had 3 of them with you and you kept getting that? You must have been wearing a pony tail to have gotten that comment so many times. But, if they all had clean faces and spot free clothing, I don't know what they could be thinking. Sure, in a country like China or even a European country where they can barely keep up or replenish their population and 3 or 4 kids is like repopulating a village, then that comment might be expected. But in Utah, hah! I don't think so. Honestly, I think they just wanted to stop and say something so they could look at all of the little cutenesses you were traveling with.

Alison B said...

Thank you! I agree! seriously, people say this to me all the time. You'd think people in utah would be used to it, though, you know? sheesh! don't they know you'd prefer a compliment instead?

Tori said...

I get "Are they ALL yours?" No. I just take other people's kids grocery shopping with me for fun- Really??? How are you guys doing?

Parrish Family said...

I'm glad we have people like that in the world, they are so good about enlightening us in our own lives, don't you think?!? :) I understand how you feel. When Sam wore his helmet you wouldn't believe what people will say. I'm glad people feel like they can be so bold to COMPLETE strangers!

Parrish Family said...

I'm glad we have people like that in the world, they are so good about enlightening us in our own lives, don't you think?!? :) I understand how you feel. When Sam wore his helmet you wouldn't believe what people will say. I'm glad people feel like they can be so bold to COMPLETE strangers!

Jessica Schwendiman said...

Another one that I love is, "You look good for having three kids!"
What does that mean? That I kind of still look like crap but NOT FOR HAVING THREE KIDS.
Can't I just look good?