Monday, April 26, 2010

Rex's Birthday Celebration, Version 1

You know us Clarks...we can't celebrate a birthday on just one day. We love to string out the parties and special treatment as long as we can. Hence, Rex got to blow out the candles on his Lightning McQueen birthday cake yesterday when everyone was here. He loved it! He learned how to sing "Happy Birthday to You" a few weeks ago, so he was extra-excited to sing to himself.

Originally, I planned to make a BOR-ring white layer cake with a McQueen toy car on top, but late on Saturday night, Adam convinced me that it "wouldn't be that hard to make a red rectangle car" for Rex's cake. Eventually, I agreed and decided on Sunday morning to pull out the stops and go for the cool cake. Since I didn't have all the supplies I needed (like black food coloring, etc.), I had to improvise, but I think it turned out pretty well. The thing I loved most about it is that Rex recognized Lighting, even when the cake was in the crumb coat phase. He was so excited and screamed out "Kachow! Lightning!". That made the panic and 4-hour baking/decorating spree worth it.

If I make this cake again, I'll definitely cut away the bottom of the front of the car. He ended up looking a bit more like Mater than Lightning, but oh well.

The kids all got a kick out of the cake, so it was fab.


Here's the cute birthday boy!

He loved it!

Thanks to Angela, Rex enjoyed every bite.
Rex is having a great birthday week, so there will definitely be more to come as far as birthday blogging goes. Let the party begin!

12 comments:

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

That cake is so cute! You did a great job! I can't believe Rex is two already.

Liesl Christensen said...

Happy Birthday Rex! Fun cake!

Joe and Marci said...

You've been busy at your house!! That cake is darling, well done :) Can't wait to see more...

Christina White said...

You Rock!! What the heck? There is no way I could make that!!! It is the coolest cake ever! Lucky b-day boy!

Rebecca said...

I am amazed at your courage to make the cake last minute-its awesome!

stephanie said...

Happy Birthday to Rex!!! The cake is adorable, Im very impressed!! I would love to take some pics for you guys...its great practice for me!!

Deanne said...

What a great cake...especially made last minute! Happy Birthday Rex!

Leslie said...

the cake is adorable. Happy Birthday Rex! i can't believe he is 2 already. where does the time go? fun to see you guys! can't wait for angels and airwaves!

Katherine Fajen said...

The cake turned out so cute- I'm impressed! Rex will totally appreciate that when he grows us...I still remember all of the fun cakes my mom made for me. :)

Parrish Family said...

I am all for celebrating birthdays for as long as possible! And the cake looks so cute!! I'm glad Adam talked you into it because it turned out super cute!!

Kacey said...

Great job on the cake. Derek was in the room when I read this and he started asking me to "watch a cars movie?"

Kenzie - Ryan - Livee- Emmeline said...

Love the cake. I love to do stuff like that but I don't think I could just whip it out the first time like that. Happy birthday Rex.