Sunday, July 20, 2008

Houston, I Have a Problem

I am addicted to blogging. I know this sounds odd and you may not believe it because I don't post every day, but the following scenario presented itself as a major warning to me that I need professional help:

Tuesday, none of the kids took naps (yikes, I know). By 4:30 p.m., they were all becoming testy, so I figured we'd head to the mall and have an exciting afternoon to keep them from dozing off at 7 p.m. only to awake, ready to party for 6 hours, at 11:30 p.m. We had a disastrous trip to say the least, so at 8:30, I was delighted to put them all to bed and have four hours of tranquility with Adam. If you're a parent, you're probably chuckling to yourself because you know what happens next...

Amber woke up at 12:30. After thirty minutes of whining, she fell asleep again. Then, Rex woke up to eat and promptly went back to bed. At 2:30, Karli started whining and wouldn't stop, so I put her in bed with me. Amber joined us shortly thereafter and, in her sleep, suspiciously began kicking Karli. Karli screamed each time she received a blow and was finally worked up into such a frenzy that Amber and I were both wide awake. When Karli realized I rebuked Amber for kicking her, she needed another irritant and decided to whine because she wanted to watch a movie. Determined to return to my well-deserved REM state, I put Karli back in her crib and let her scream for 20 minutes. Finally, Adam, who was preparing for a huge mock trial that was to take place 5 hours later, came in and rescued Karli from the dregs of her brutally confining crib. She was beyond consolation, however, and despite any attempt Adam made to pacify her, the screaming fit continued. His efforts to prepare any arguments for class were futile and he was royally ticked off.

By this point, Amber awoke again and chimed right in alongside Karli, wailing so loudly that our neighbors woke up and began stomping around to let us know they'd been disturbed (oh...if they only knew...). Adam was yelling, I was yelling, Karli and Amber were screaming, and not wanting to be forgotten, Rex started crying too. This continued until 5:30 a.m. until two of the three kids had cried themselves to exhaustion and Karli the Insomniac finally settled down to watch Teletubbies.

The point of this tangental saga is that throughout the whole episode, I kept thinking to myself, "This is going to make a great blog post." Then, in the middle of sternly explaining to Amber why she couldn't eat ice cream at 3:00 in the morning, an idea for the title of my post popped into my head. During the whole melee, I just wanted to escape to the office, lock the door, and describe the situation play-by-play. At first, I thought this was an evil desire, but now as I'm writing, I think it may be more of a boon than a burden. My blogging addiction could actually be a cathartic coping mechanism developed by my feeble brain to help me survive episodes of children-induced stress, panic, and sleep deprivation.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

You are hilarious and I LOVE to read your blog...so I'm hoping the addiction continues. I can't wait until you're back in UT so I know where to drop off my little one during her all night fits...it sounds like you'll also be up!

Melisa said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I seriously have about 3 stories a day I think I should blog about, but it never happens. And I go through a hundred titles that I usually forget by the time I start typing. And when something insane happens, I think, this really needs to be blogged. It really is therapy! And an addiction... ;)

Welch Mom said...

oh blogging can be theraputic I think. We have had all in the bed including the cat, Cole kicking my back, and the baby trying to feed. And where is Robb when this is going on... sleeping soundly next to me. That is when I thump him on the head!

stephanie said...

Oh my gosh! Your a good mom....I dont know how I would handle Ryker if he was up all night!

Kahananui said...

Wow I can imagine how mad Adam must have been. I'm so excited to have 2 kids and start having those experiences! I'm the same way with blogging. The other day Jax was doing something cute and I started video taping him but he had thrown all his toys out everywhere so I stopped it and started cleaning them all up and Dave was like what are you doing? and I said I can't have the house look messy when I post this on my blog!! I realized how retarded that must have sounded right after I said it :)

Sean and Jeannette said...

What I love most is that somehow...someway...Daddy-o can sleep like a brick while all of it is going on. Sean has insisted on getting rid of using the monitor at night, but I know that we would never ever hear Isaac in the morning. Case in point, when I went to NYC for my trip a few months ago, I asked Sean what time Isaac woke up, and he replied "Ummm...er...I don't know. I just went in and got him when my alarm went off. Yeah, he was crying..." Oooooooooh, mercy!!

Amy said...

That's hilarious! I know exactly what you mean. It used to always be Rob that took the pictures in my family...now it is me. I also have my blog posts in mind!