Friday, September 19, 2008

Eatin' Like Hobos

Yesterday we got a hankerin' for some tin foil dinners, so Adam dug out the overgrown fire pit, I bundled up a few potatoes and carrots with ground beef and onion soup mix, and we trekked down the terraced yard to enjoy one of the finest outdoor meals I can imagine.

Nothing is better than dessert before dinner, so we taught Amber and Karli how to make s'mores while our dinners cooked in the fire.

They were obviously a big hit!

Here are the bundles of delectable hobo fare; they smelled fantastic and we couldn't wait to bust out the juicy, smokey goodness.

Amber and Karli loved the beef, and they even had enough courage to eat a few of the veggies. Adam said, "Isn't it funny that the girls eat veggies when Dad cooks them?" To which I replied, "That's great. Dad can cook dinner every night!" He laughed and humbly declined (typical). The dinners tasted even better than I thought they would and for about three seconds, I contemplated forsaking my kitchen for a campfire to be able to eat this kind of food for every meal. Don't worry though, I came to my senses when I saw a bug crawling down Adam's cheek as he took his first bite. I'm way too domesticated for regularly-scheduled campfire cuisine.

The tin foil dinners were a great success...and that's all she wrote.

7 comments:

Becky said...

Yummy! I'm sure it tasted better than our Little Squeezers we had tonight. Though 5 bucks is pretty hard to pass up when the motivation for cooking is non-existent. We've been in Alpine all day helping my aunt set up their back yard for my cousin's wedding reception so I've been gone too and, well, I just have a hard time cooking in the summer (it's not fall yet). Camping/outdoor style is o.k. though and you guys must have had fun, and with two adorable girls, well 3 including mom.
I hate play dough! The stuff is a pain to get out of carpet. I once had to use tweezers to pick it out of the individual fibers.

Tiffany said...

YUM! I want your recipe for tin foil dinners because the only thing I know how to make over a camp fire is hot dogs! You create such fun memories for your kids....mother of the year!

Deanne said...

Looks like fun and yummy too! Maybe it's time we dig a fire pit in our back yard as well. It's the perfect season for it. I'll just add it to our never ending list of things to do around the house!

Leslie said...

Yum, I love tin foil dinners! Plus the clean up is much easier!

Sean and Jeannette said...

that looks like so much fun!! Your kids (as well as you and Adam) seem like you are sooooooo happy with having your own space! I am sure it has made a world of a difference. I doubt you'll miss your crazy folk back in da' hood of Lansing, although I'm sure they miss a nice place to hide from their ex-boyfriend, the cops, or to just ask you for money:) It would be quite the documentary-in-the-making to go back to Lansing in 10 years and revisit your old stomping ground:)

Amy said...

Yum! There is nothing like having a camp fire in the crisp Utah mountain air! I'm glad Adam didn't burn the gazebo down like Rob almost did:) Adam must've been able to light the fire without using "scout juice".

Kahananui said...

How fun! I'm so glad you guys are getting to have a good time. I bet it's so nice to have Adam there more and be able to be with family too. We miss you guys!! We definitely miss all the camp fires. You have such an adorable family!! I can't believe I've only seen Rex in pictures!