Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Great Day

Saturday was a blast! Upon waking, the girls donned their princess gear and headed outside to help Adam clean the pool and get it all ready for winter (boo hoo hoo), and I took Rex outside to supervise. I have utterly enjoyed living free from creepy neighbors who notice every, single thing we do, but the culmination of my appreciation for fenced-in, single-family property came when I needed to feed Rex and could do it on the swing in the wonderfully private backyard. Adam makes a great pool boy, too (no, he didn't wear a sparkly thong a la Legally Blonde, but nonetheless...), and after he finished, we all headed over to the trampoline for some bouncing. Rex loved it and Amber and Karli got a big kick out of hearing him gasp after an extra-high jump.

After exploring in the yard for a bit, the girls found an adorable, fat, fuzzy, yellow caterpillar and insisted on adopting it. We made it a nice home in a food storage container and watched it wiggle and climb while we enjoyed our lunch of Hebrew National Fat-Free hot dogs (the best...and only kind of hot dogs I'll eat), green apple slices dipped in caramel, and vanilla yogurt with bananas and almonds. Then the kiddos went down for naps and I had two hours to shower and get ready before our friends arrived for dinner.

Ryan Hanvey and his wife, Kim, and James and Amy Thomas and their kids came over for a barbecue which ended up as a kitchen party (we ran out of propane while heating the grill; thank heavens for electric griddles!) with tons of yummy food and great conversation. J.J., Hannah, Mariah, Amber, and Karli all loved the treats Ryan and Kim brought for them and had a fantastic time swimming. Despite the chilly air, the water was warm and we all loved seeing Hanvey's crazy dives that really impressed and inspired the little kids.

Once the excitement died down and our company went home, Adam, Amber, Karli, Rex and I snuggled up under a big quilt on the porch swing and enjoyed the starry, cold night. It was a wonderful end to a great day in a gorgeous place. I love living here!

Here's the view from the trampoline; I could lie out there all day!

7 comments:

Becky said...

What?! No sparkly blue thong?! That sounded like a fabulous day! I love this time of year when you rediscover your back yard because you can now go out without fear of heat exhaustion or mosquitoes.
Tell, him he oughta go in a few bucks for the thong next time, J/k. really, ew!!!

Melisa said...

No wonder you were so excited to leave MI. ;)

Amy said...

I am trying to get the picture of my brother wearing a sparkly thong out of my head right now...thanks Nat!

Kahananui said...

I second that, Amy!! Ah!! Sounds like you guys had such a fun day. I'm jealous...we wish we were back in Alpine enjoying the pool and having family around!! We're so glad you guys are out of Michigan though and back into a somewhat normal neighborhood.

Tiffany said...

You should be an author...I seriously love to read how you write about things!!! Let's get together again soon. I took Reagan out to my nieces soccer game last Saturday in Alpine and Reagan was asking for your girls!

Dave and Maren Clark said...

I wish so bad I could write like you.

Leslie said...

Wish we could of made it on Saturday. I love the comment about Adam and his uniform for cleaning the pool!