Saturday, February 21, 2009

Global Attack Launched on Attractive Hairstyles by the Intermountain Hair Monster

I grew up in Idaho, land of rodeo queens and white trash deluxe, where the gals' hair was always jacked up higher than the most ostentatious cowboy's truck. That said, I have routinely deemed the infamous western-states-supported hair "bump" an atrocity. I mean, a little volume is good (just ask David Spade and Adam Sandler and their Gap Girls alter-egos), but even if I am inviting the cast of SNL to the party, can we please leave the Coneheads off the list? Honestly, how can anyone find this bump remotely attractive (for the record, I did NOT resize this photo. It remains in its original aspect ratio)?



"Oh my heck...I like, love Bumpits! My hair is getting
higher and my face is looking flatter!"


I rest my case.

Imagine my horror when, tonight, I saw an infomercial for Bumpits. That's right, folks. There is now a patented product designed to eliminate the hours of teasing, ratting, spraying, stuffing (don't laugh, my friends did it with toilet paper and pantyhose filled with batting), pulling, and pinching it takes to achieve this hideous hair phenomenon. I nearly wet my pants!

Since I think I may be one of five women within a 1,000 mile radius who doesn't support or sport the bump, please do not consider this post a personal attack on your style. Were I a bumper, I'd probably jump online and snatch up as many Bumpits as I could to spare my arm muscles the indefinite fatigue caused by the now outdated, aforementioned bumping method.

Happy bumping, everybody!

8 comments:

Amy said...

People can make money selling anything! Ever since you got your haircut last time we were in Utah, Ashley is always telling me, "I want my hair to look like Natalie's." I am glad you don't use a bumpit!

Melisa said...

So I shouldn't bequeath you mine in my will, eh?

gentat

stephanie said...

thats funny! I watched Rachael Ray about a month ago and they were talking about how great those are. I about died!! YUCK!!!

Deanne said...

There's always a price for beauty. hehe ;)

Natalie said...

Bumpit or BumPit. Looks more like the later.

Kacey said...

Wow! Those ladies would be the star of a Richfield rodeo! I might have to get one for my trips to see my family in Southern UT!

Sean and Jeannette said...

This. is. hilarious. Seriously, I remember my first week out in Utah (had never been there before) and I just stared at the girls' hair! I was like, "How does it DO that?" I even went back to my dorm one night and practiced, only to smell like an entire can of aqua net with little results. Just knots! You shuold find out who came up with this. From Utah or Idaho maybe???

Kenzie - Ryan - Livee- Emmeline said...

That is so funny because I swear that people only do those bumps in idaho and utah. Cody came up about a year ago and we went to the mall and he could not stop looking at every girl saying "wow". I don't know why people think it is cute and even worse is the square bump. I don't know if you know what I am talking about but it is worse