Friday, December 4, 2009

Oh My Gosh

Where do I even begin? Today was one of those days, you know, where you just can't imagine one more thing could happen to make you loose your temper, but sure enough, there it is, and those events just keep happening all day long. The problem with today was that when I was awakened early by a constant and annoying tapping on my face by one of my cute kids (of course, on my day to sleep in), I consciously decided that today would be my day this week to keep my cool, be extra patient with my kids, and try to have fun decorating the house for Christmas. I even thought we could do a few fun projects, like make cookies or something.
WRONG! As soon as the kids were out of the tub, the naughtiness flared up and continued all day. By all three kids. Who didn't take naps. Even when they were banished to their rooms for the majority of the afternoon. Here are just a few of the highlights:

-Throwing chair cushions over the stair railing several times (a major no-no in our house)
-Spitting milk repeatedly on siblings
-Pulling hair all day long
-Hitting mom in the face
-Locking one's self into mom and dad's room, removing every item of clothing from the hangers, shelves, and baskets, and wadding them into a huge pile on the floor (breaking several hangers in the process)
-Tipping over new baby's drawers, emptying them, and scattering the freshly-washed clothes throughout the house
-Sobbing all day long
-Tattling all day long
-Not eating dinner
-Sneaking out of bed

Thankfully, my wonderful husband came to my rescue and took the kids out of my earshot for the last two hours of the evening. He put them to bed (over and over again) so I could have a much-needed break. I'm SO glad to have such a wonderful man to clean up the bathroom after Rex dumps the entire contents of the trash can into the toilet and to rescue me from motherhood-induced insanity (yep, that happened today, too).

5 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds like yesterday was pretty rough:(. Hopefully today is better! I can't believe you are only a couple of weeks from having the baby! We are so excited to have another nephew!

Joe and Marci said...

Are you sure you weren't just peeking in the windows at our house? My day was eerily similar! I also found where someone stabbed a knife in a chair, had my wedding ring disappear, and found marker "tattoos" all over my children's bodies. A day in the life, I guess :) I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Becky said...

You may as well have joined in the "sobbing all day long" part after all of that. I would have. Thank goodness for good husbands who can foresee the ticking bomb inside of the mama and evacuate all of the bystanders before the major explosion. You could have written "Natalie's, terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." and gone off to Australia yourself.

Liz said...

And on top of that, you are having a baby any day. You poor thing. Thank goodness for good husbands! When things are crazy around here I have to remind myself, "it's just a stage...." that at least gives me a little hope.

holly and matt said...

It sounds like we're related on the motherhood front. Its days like this that you want to trade kids with someone so hopefully they'll act civilized. One day at a time is what I tell myself after days like this.