Monday, February 14, 2011

My Thrifty, Crafty Projects of Late

I always shun decorating my own house because we have been entirely transient for the duration of our married life and I can't stand hauling superfluity around with us wherever we go. Granted, I do have a few decor items that hold remarkable sentimental value, but they all fit into one diaper box. Our walls are mostly bare, but I've grown to greatly appreciate the minimalistic sense of calm they lend to the inevitably cluttered floor (thank you, children).

At long last, I broke down and decided to make some Valentine's Day decorations. I started with a small vinyl quote for my front door, and then made a heart to hang on the wall in our family room. The heart turned out so well that I figured I could make a matching bunting. Then, I discovered yards of hot pink tulle at the bottom of my fabric bin and...voila! I had a darling little lovey-dovey-yet-funky-pseudovintage vignette that I'm crazy about. The best part: I made the heart and bunting from diaper boxes, some old WSJ pages, and paint I already had lying around the house. FREE! Those are my favorite kind of projects.













Now I'm hooked and I can't wait to get going on my St. Patrick's Day creations. Nine years later, I guess it's high time I add a little holiday cheer to the family, right? My kids love it and so do I, once I get the decorations up and forget about the hassle of storing them later. Cheers, everyone!

2 comments:

Deanne said...

The best part is that if you move again and decide noto to keep them, no big deal since they didn't cost you anything. But I think they are totally cute and are worth keeping (they won't take up much space to store anyway). Can't wait to see what you come up with for the other upcoming holidays!

Kenzie - Ryan - Livee- Emmeline said...

I love these decorations! I can't believe you made them. It is hard to find cute decorations that aren't cheesy for holidays like Valentine's day or St. Patrick's day. These are really cute and I think I am going to attempt to make some sort of St. Patrick's day craft tomorrow!