Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Could It Be OCD?

I feel like I'm fairly laid back; I realize that I cannot control every event in my life and for the most part, I can roll with whatever happens. There are, however, a few things that stay on my mind to the point of interrupting my daily proceedings. First, blogging. I obviously have an obsession that is bordering on unhealthy; I guess I need an outlet of some sort because I continually think of topics to blog and run to the computer every chance I get. Adam and the girls now call me Violet, as in Screech's nerdy girlfriend who is a total computer geek.

Second, loading of the dishwasher. I had such a struggle to bite my tongue and leave the room to avoid reorganization of dishes in the dishwasher when we had company last week. My Dr. Jeckyl personality realizes that it is so helpful to me that my guests actually load the dishwasher and that I should be absolutely thankful for their willingness to pitch in, but my Mrs. Hyde personality secretly screamed every time I noticed someone putting a dinner fork in the soup spoon slot of the utensil holder and dropping the butter knives in the slots with the blades facing upward. I mean, come on...what dishwasher unloader on this planet can grab those upward-facing utensils and put them in the drawer without getting hand germs on the surfaces that go into other people's mouths (not to mention avoid getting stabbed a zillion times)? How much time does a person waste sorting out the tangle of tines and blades of forks and knives that are intermixed while unloading the clean untensils? It's all about efficiency, people!

Last, folding of towels. My mom drilled into my head the "proper" way to fold towels, to resemble those found in department stores and hotels (I have since learned that each household has a different "proper" way...go figure). I cannot look in a linen closet and leave it alone if the towels are folded in quarters, say, instead of my half-half-thirds method. It's all I can do to keep myself from ripping the towels off every shelf and re-folding them. The same goes for laundry of any sort. I have my ways and I like them. I even almost told Adam not to fold the gargantuan pile of laundry today because I didn't want to have to re-fold my undies or turn the articles of clothing right-side-out. Why can't I be more like a man in the laundry regard?

So, here's the question of the day: What the $@#& is wrong with me?! I really do appreciate the help and would much rather play with my kids (or blog, he he he) instead of do laundry or dishes. Hopefully I can continue to squelch my developing OCD and learn to just chill out.

10 comments:

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

I am so with you on the dishwasher issue. Every dish has a proper place. My parents loaded the dishwasher last night, and it took effort for me not to unload it and load it the correct way! I should just be grateful I didn't have to do it in the first place. :)
After Miles and Amber get married, I'm sure they'll spend a lot of time talking about how crazy their mother's are!

Melisa said...

Can I call you Monk? ;) I have a few of those myself. Mostly about shoveling snow and not leaving lines. But I also have ways I like my laundry done. :)

Becky said...

I have the same issues and have asked myself the same question. I feel like such an ingrate when people have helped out and then I have to go and fix it because of this weird quirk. I had a family member who did a bunch of my laundry and when I got it back not one thing was right side out. I later learned that she never right side outs things. That's like having to do twice the work because now I have to go unfold everything and fix it! Sometimes I just have to be very thoughtful and find those, with not so much the knack for precision, something simple to do. And yes, towels...and sheets...and cupboards...o.k. I too have ocd.

Welch Mom said...

I could fold your towels for you because I was taught by my mom the exact same way. Robb seems to not be able to grasp this concept although I have repeatedly showed him many times. Have you ever seen the Raymond episode where he does the housework wrong on purpose because he secretly knows she will get fed up and do it instead. I think I am on to something...

Kacey said...

I am with you on the utensils upside down thing but I have never sorted them. In fact, I remember when I was little doing that once and my dad got mad and said you can't put all the spoons together because they fit inside each other and won't all get clean. Whatever. By the way, half-half-thirds IS the proper way to fold a towel.

Natalie said...

Hooray! I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one with these issues and that I AM folding my towels the correct way. :) I feel much better.

pedro said...

Who where you mad at Amy and Rob and/or Greg and spouse and/or Jessica and child? hahaha

Sean and Jeannette said...

AMEN to the Half-Half-Thirds towel folders! It looks sooo much better this way:) Don't fret, my dear...all of us are OCD in our own secretive ways! :) I'm a freak about wiping down countertops and such, so if we ever did dinner at my place, you could literally eat your meal straight off the counter and know it would be germ-free:)

Kenzie - Ryan - Livee- Emmeline said...

Nat,
I love reading your blog. You are so truthful and funny. Thank you for not just making your life seem like it is perfect always. Because who really has a perfect life? And by the way I think that I have OCD too because in some of the things that you were saying I was thinking you were talking about me. I wish I could see you guys. Do you guys live in Alpine or where do you live? I would love to come see you guys.
Kenzie

Alison B said...

Hi Natalie, I'm not sure if you remember me, but I found your blog. Anyways, I just wanted you to know, I am the exact same way about the dishwasher and towels. I do it th same way...and I'd prefer noone else to load my dishwasher, let along fold my laundry. I totally feel your pain, and yes, I think i'm a little OCD as well. :) Your family is beautiful. So cute!!!