Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Giddy as a Schoolgirl

The happy couple.



This post is going to be cheesey, so beware!

Seven years ago this week, I met Adam. For those of you who don't know the story, my parents bought a building-in-process house in Alpine in July of 2001 and we all worked on it night and day until it was ready for occupancy in late October (I was living at home after I graduated; what can I say...I was a loser!). My mom had met some of the neighbors and told me that the Young Women's President had a cute son who recently returned from a mission. "Right," I thought to my self. Like I really wanted to date a dorky RM who was a member of my same ward! I politely declined my mom's incessant offers to set us up, as well as her informative quip that our new ward had a YSA Sunday School class that she thought I'd like to attend. Dating "wardies" (as my sisters dub them) was soooo not my style.

Long ago when we lived in Rexburg, my brother had a friend who was my age named Adam Clark. He was a super nice guy, but totally not attractive to me. Brian always told me, "You're going to marry Adam Clark; I just know it!" and I vehemently denied it every time. I'm sure you can imagine my surprise when, on the first Sunday of attendance in our new ward, a devistatingly handsome guy approached me and said, "Hi. I'm Adam Clark. Do you want to go to Sunday School with me?" I couldn't even get a grip on myself because I was so stunned that a guy as hot as him would even talk to me, let alone walk right up and introduce himself (I was usually the pursuer...again, I was a loser). I think I stammered something ridiculous like, "Hi. I'm Sure, I mean, sure, I'd love to. I'm Natalie" and as we walked off, I pretty much tripped over both of my feet or my shoe fell off or something, but I was thrilled to be walking with such a dashing man who was polite to boot (he opened all the doors and helped me with my chair).

Nonetheless, we made it to the class and I was thrilled to hear the teacher volunteer Adam to drive the batch of YSAs from our ward to the stake fireside that night. Of course, I went (hello! Adam was driving) and Adam and I talked the whole time. I knew it was love at first sight, and after a month of dating, I committed the ultimate relationship no-no that any gal in her right mind would know better than to do: I said, "I am falling in love with you, so if you don't think you're going to fall in love with me, let's not date anymore." Can you believe it? I mean, what was I thinking? Obviously, the results were positive, and we got engaged in Salt Lake City during the 2002 Olympics.

Because of this momentus experience, fall always conjures up giddy, exciting, romantic feelings inside me and I love to reminisce about how awesome it was to know I had found Mr. Perfect. We had such a fun, fast, and exuberant courtship and I love that we are in love now even more than we were seven years ago. I am thrilled to be married to my very best friend and can't imagine a better life than the one we've built. So, here's to young love, Jazz games, CES firesides as excues for Sunday dates, songs by John Michael Montgomery, and making out in Burgess Park. Yeah baby!

8 comments:

Liz said...

Hey Nat! I love that story! It's sweet to read it. David and I had similar experiences and a really fast engagement. When you know it's right, you go for it. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Thanks for sharing. :)

Becky said...

That was such a beautiful story. I think you should write a book, really. You had me going and waiting for chapter two! That makes me think about how I met Chris. The sad thing is, I was kind of traumatized from a bad relationship and wasn't doing the typical lovey-dovey stuff like writing down when he first held my hand or whatever, one of those waiting for disasters, but it turned into a wonderful thing in the end.

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

That was so cute! I love hearing stories about how people met.

Amy said...

That's sweet! Rex looks soooo cute in the Yoda costume...I'm glad you got it in time! It is fine if you wait to mail everything until next week. Hope you all have a great Halloween! Tell the girls I miss them!

Kahananui said...

I remember when you guys were first dating. Ang and I used to spy on you guys....ahh!!! I'm so sorry for that!!! :) Haha but we are so happy you guys met and you married into our family. We love you Nat!!

Kacey said...

I am so sad I wasn't around for your courtship. That is the first time I've heard any of the gooey details.

Welch Mom said...

Cute story and cuter couple!

Leslie said...

love your cute story!