Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Meltdown Commencing in 5...4...3...

Do you ever have a day where several unpleasant events occur and seem like small annoyances until you realize you've had so many of those events that by the end of the day, you're ready to scream and tear out all of your hair? Today is that day, and I am exercising my right to revolt by silently delegating the seventh tuck-in of the night to Adam and blogging about my abysmal, non-pedicured toes instead of actually fixing the problem (perhaps I'll be awake long enough to do both. Ahh...catharsis).

Today actually started with me wanting to finally do my toenails now that it's been four weeks since my last paint job and I haven't EVER gone this long with chipped polish in my entire life. Don't ask me why I've let them go like this. Our random and spontaneous trip to Oregon definitely played a part; I didn't think to grab my pedicure kit and I even had to trim my toenails with the polish still on (Sacrilege!). For some reason, every time I sat down today to remove these hideous remains of month-old polish, someone needed something from me. On the bright side, though, I did trim them last week so I don't have talons. That's good.

Rex is cutting teeth, so he's extra grumpy, won't eat much, and wants to be held all the time. Adam has begun the 12-hour-a-day Bar Exam preparations, so I'm back to being a semi-single parent and having a hard time readjusting, Karli is STILL potty training, Amber is ultra-sassy and defiant these days, and I'm pretty sure I just attended my eleventh scout meeting in November. Normally, I can handle these conditions, but I think I'm having a month-long bout of PMS since my body has still not completed its postpartum regulatory cycle so I'm extra irritable. Add to this equation thirteen tweens who are generally adorable but strangely distracted today and aren't ready for their upcoming competition (my 8-year-old cheer team that I coached this afternoon) and the result may be frighteningly akin to Steve Martin's grocery-store episode in Father of the Bride (hey, I'll take any opportunity I can to use the word "superfluous", even if it entails screaming at a grocery store manager, he he).

Thankfully, though, I did not end up in jail. The day is over, the kids are finally asleep, and I just may be able to fix my forsaken toenails tonight. I only have three more cheer classes to teach before Thanksgiving, and the weather was blissful today. Things are looking better already.

Wow...I feel so calm.

7 comments:

Becky said...

So I'm guessing cheer isn't as cheerful as we were all lead to believe? Those toes! "Now she's got the 6 karat Harry Winston on her bony, unpolished finger!"
May you always be polished! Live long and pedicure! To paint or not to paint?
Anyway, I'm glad someone takes care of there feet because mine are starting to resemble those of the Hobbit. I've got Frodo feet!

Becky said...

Oops, I spelled "there" wrong, it should be "their", really I can sometimes spell, but Mr. Spell Czech misses stuff on occasion.

Melisa said...

I'm so sorry sweets. I love that blogging is so cathartic. Come hang out with me and we can be single parents together! We'll take turns going crazy.

Oh, and thanks for me feel like a slacker since the last time I even looked at my toes was before my brothers wedding back in August...

Oh, and pidenat

Leslie said...

pretty toenails makes everyone more happy! mine have been neglected for awhile as well. i am so not looking forward to the endless hours of studying for the bar that is about to commence. we will have to get together a couple of times to have adult conversation and complain about being single parents. i still don't know how you survived 3 years of finals with kids!

Kacey said...

If your toes are the worst thing being neglected in your house, you are doing pretty good! Mommies should all be aloud time to make ourselves look fabulous. Doesn't eveyone (kids and hubbies) know that it will benenfit them in the long run? Here's to a better day today!

Welch Mom said...

Yes, I feel your pain as I look at my 3 month old polish job that I just let wear off as well. Who has time to have their toe nails look good all the time?

stephanie said...

well...u happen to be in the right family. i can fix those babies in no time!
--b