Sunday, September 28, 2008

I'm Old School

I remember the first time I played with Legos; I was three and at our neighbor, Susan Anderson's house. She had a gigantic Rubbermaid tub full of them, and the only thing more spectacular than stacking the millions of plastic blocks into a tower that touched the ceiling was the glorious and melodic sound of each piece spilling out of that monstrous tub onto the carpet. I played with those Legos for hours on end and was always sad when I had to clean them up and go home. I think the main reason for my dismay was that it took what seemed like forever to pick up every single Lego.

I was delighted to find a similar tub brimming with Legos in the closet of the cowgirl room (the adorable room where Amber and Karli sleep). Adam suggested Lego play as a reward for the non-whiners (which are increasingly fewer and farther between these days), so after dinner we headed upstairs and slid the enormous container to the middle of the room. I couldn't hide my nostalgic excitement when I removed the lid, carefully tipped the tub onto its side, and relived that magical symphony of sight and sound as all the Legos tumbled out onto the floor. Amber and Karli were more excited about finding different colors, shapes, and Micro Machines among the Legos than actually constructing things, but Adam and I had a grand time making cars with passengers, a little red house, an airplane, a bridge, and a few other abstract structures. One thing is for sure...Legos rock!

Check out all these sweet Legos!
The Clarks have every set imaginable, from castles to pirate ships to trains.

Amber sneakily tried to destroy the house I built.

The clean-up process was as bad as I remembered. Just like before, it took FOREVER!

It was fun to see the girls build little towers and take them apart, even if they were only interested for a few minutes.

Amber and Karli each found a Micro Machine car and have been carrying them around for days. I used to love the commercials for these vehicles with the yelling pro-wrestler. I don't know why I loved them so much...I guess I have problems. A toy-filled memory lane is a great place to visit once in a while; it's loads of fun, even if I do feel ancient when my kids play with the toys I used to love.

3 comments:

Deanne said...

Wasn't there that super fast talking guy too that did the micro machine commercials? I'm feeling old now!

Kahananui said...

Don't you love all those legos?! We used to love to empty them during conference and would spend all weekend playing and building. Kristi is the best at building houses!!! Looks like fun!!

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

I loved legos and micro machines! What fond memories. :)